Learning to Skateboard

     When I decided to try out skateboarding for the first time, I thought it was just about learning tricks and cruising around. What I didn't realize was how much it would challenge my balance, core strength, cardio, and mental. But starting to skateboard has been one of the most rewarding activities I have done in a while, and I will tell you why. 

    I have had an itch these last few years to try out new and different things. For example, I have spent countless hours learning how to play golf, chess, tennis, solve different Rubik's cubes, and rock climb. I really enjoy trying new things and testing my body physically and mentally to pick up a new skill. My recent urge was to try out skateboarding. I have only been skateboarding for a few weeks now, and I can honestly say it is not what I expected. I knew it would be difficult, no matter how easy people on YouTube make it look, but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. 

    The first day my board arrived, I started watching beginner tutorials on YouTube. I didn't spend as much time as I should have watching videos because I was too eager to jump on the board. My very first time stepping on the board changed how I initially viewed skateboarding. I could barely stand on it for more than 10 seconds without falling off. This didn't discourage me, but it really made reality sink in. This wasn't going to be just a couple of days of practice. It was much harder than I thought it was going to be. There was a little bit of intimidation that struck me, but that is the exact reason why I love trying out new hobbies or activities. 

    For about a week straight, I got on my board every day and stuck to the basics. A lot of stationary balancing drills on cement and in the grass, with some rolling around here and there. Even for just doing mostly stationary drills and a little movement on the board, I was exhausted. I had no idea how much of a full-body workout skateboarding really is. My sessions were from 30-60 minutes of skating, and I was dripping in sweat and out of breath every time. I knew skateboarding was exercise, but I figured it wouldn't be too bad since you are rolling a lot. I thought it was similar to biking, but that was not the case.

    After each day of skating, I took time to sit back and reflect on my progress and I realized something. Every single day I hopped on the board, I improved. Every single day, I was progressing and getting better at whatever I was trying to do. I could feel myself getting better by the minute. My balance was improving, I could turn more easily, and I was becoming more comfortable. I never felt so rewarded from doing and practicing an activity like this one. Now, don't get me wrong, I am still struggling to move around and I am nowhere near a good skater. But remembering that first day of not being able to stand on the board to fast forward one week later, being able to ride around the park, it was the best feeling of accomplishment I have ever had. I could tell my hard work and sweat paid off every single day.

    Now, I am currently 3 weeks into skateboarding and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. At the beginning of this blog I said that skateboarding is one of the most rewarding activities I have done. That is because 3 weeks in, I am still improving every time I hop on the board. And there are still so many milestones I want to hit before I slow down and pick up another new hobby. Skateboarding tricks are endless, and nothing is physically impossible. Everyone, no matter your size or height, is fully capable of doing any trick; it just takes practice and repetition. That is what makes skateboarding so fun! You know you are capable and can achieve whatever you are trying to do, but it won't happen overnight. You are able to feel and see your progress day by day. That is why it is so rewarding!

    Skateboarding has reminded me that progress doesn't come from perfection; it comes from consistency, patience, and the willingness to keep trying even after you fall. Every time I step on the board, I am reminded that growth happens in small moments, not all at once. Skateboarding may seem intimidating at first, but it is an incredible way to stay active and push your limits. It's not just about learning how to ride, it's about building your confidence, strength, and resilience along the way. 

Comments

  1. This was such a great read! I love how you connected skateboarding to personal growth and persistence. It’s awesome how you kept pushing through those first tough days and could actually see your progress. You make skateboarding sound like such a rewarding way to challenge yourself both mentally and physically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s awesome! I love how you described your experience with skateboarding—it really shows how much effort and determination you’ve put in. It’s cool that you’re not just learning tricks but also building strength and confidence along the way. I can totally relate to that feeling of progress and how motivating it is to see yourself improve. Makes me want to learn how to skateboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Waylin! I see you endeavored on a gruesome task of trying to acquire the ability and knowledge of the art of skateboarding. I enjoy hearing about how skateboarding changed certain aspects of your life and skills! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meals You Can Make with Just 5 Ingredients!

Stop Comparing Yourself to Others