3 Habits That Make a Big Difference in My Health
I believe that taking care of your health doesn't have to mean these huge changes or strict routines. I believe that the small changes are the ones that matter the most. I believe that small and consistent habits have the biggest impact on someone's health. Here are the three simple things I've added to my daily routine that have made a noticeable difference in how I feel!
The first habit I have been focusing on trying to build every day is drinking more water. It sounds very basic and I'm sure most people focus on this habit a lot, but there is a huge difference in my body when I am well hydrated and not. I used to be very bad with not drinking water and only drinking pop and other sugary drinks. I still occasionally drink pop from time to time, but slowly I have been making the change to water only. I can't explain how amazing my body feels when staying properly hydrated. I have no headaches or soreness, I feel more energetic, focused, and in a better mood! To stay on top of this habit, I normally buy a case of water from the dollar store and make sure to take one or two bottles with me to each class every day. Anytime I eat a meal or go somewhere, I take a bottle with me. I also use a reusable water bottle and that is an easy reminder to sip water throughout the day. I highly recommend focusing on your water intake every day. Not only will you feel better, but water is a necessity and your body will thank you.
The next habit that has made a huge difference in my health is making sure to get enough sleep. I am not the best at staying consistent with this habit, but I do notice an enormous difference in how I feel when I get a full 8 hours of sleep vs. 5 hours. With college and work, sometimes it is hard to get to bed at a decent time. But I can't stress enough how much better you will feel if you prioritize your sleep. The amount of energy, focus, and recovery I feel after getting adequate sleep is unmatched. I noticed I feel less stressed when I am on a very good sleep schedule also. I also highly recommend getting blackout curtains for your bedroom. These curtains block out all light and I think they have drastically improved my sleep quality. Give them a try, you won't regret it! Sleep is another necessity just like water, and I highly recommend you take care of your body and aim for 7-8 hours of sleep a night. It is the best thing for your body.
My last habit that I try to focus on daily is just trying to move a little every day. With juggling college, work, and family time, I don't always have time for a full workout. But I do try to make sure my body is moving in some way. Whether it is a quick walk between classes, stretching before bed, or doing a little body weight workout in my room, every little bit of exercise counts. Working out has done wonders for my mental health and I would recommend any form of exercise to anyone capable! Not only does it make you physically stronger, but it also boosts your mood, focus, and clears out your mind. Exercise is one of the best ways to stay positive! On days when I feel unmotivated, I remind myself that something is always better than nothing and just a few minutes of activity can completely change my mindset.
Building these three habits didn't happen overnight, and I still have days when I struggle with them. But sticking with them as much as I can has drastically improved my physical and mental health way more than I expected. They aren't big changes to implement in your daily life, but small steps over time really do add up. I will leave off with two of my favorite sayings. I think about these almost every day or when I am struggling to break an unhealthy habit.
"Take care of your body, it's the only place you have to live. Small steps every day lead to big changes."
"Wellness is a journey, not a destination. Start where you are. The best project you will ever work on is you. Start now."

Comments
Post a Comment